Office environments throughout Washington University in St. Louis’ campuses are major consumers of energy and materials and significant contributors to our waste stream. The Green Office Program is a framework and set of resources that has the potential to significantly reduce the environmental footprint of our university community.
Presented by the Office of Sustainability and Resource Management, WashU’s Green Office Program aims to encourage offices across all WashU campuses to be champions of our university sustainability ethic.
The program is a point-based, self-assessment checklist with which offices can evaluate their current practices, set goals, and be recognized for their sustainable practices. As participants complete the checklist, points are automatically tallied. When an office earns points above a set threshold, it will be certified as a Green Office.
How to Participate
- Define office space and elect a Green Office representative. An office can be defined as three to 20 people who share office equipment. Large offices may be broken down into more manageable groups.
- Register your office.
- Orient yourself and your office to the program by downloading and reviewing the Introduction to the Green Office Program (PDF).
- Download the Green Office Checklist (XLS) and work with your office to complete the checklist. It will be helpful to reach out to office members to get a sense of their current individual practices and to raise awareness about more sustainable practices.
- Email your completed checklist to firstname.lastname@example.org. The Office of Sustainability will review your completed checklist and confirm your office’s certification level.
The Green Office program has five levels of certification automatically calculated as you fill out the checklist. After completing the checklist, the Office of Sustainability will confirm your certification level.
The five certification levels are:
- Platinum: 90 percent and above
- Gold: 80 percent
- Silver: 65 percent
- Bronze: 50 percent
- Registered: below 50 percent
Offices must be recertified annually but have the option of resubmitting the checklist every three months after the first submission to allow recognition for improvements.
To celebrate offices that have made strides to reduce their environmental footprint, the Office of Sustainability will recognize certified green offices by:
- Supplying an icon that can be used on the department website
- Providing a plaque/certificate for the office
- Including the office on the Office of Sustainability’s “Green Office” list
- Recognizing Green Office Liaisons at the annual Green Carpet Awards Ceremony
- Radiation Safety
- Campus Card Services
- Office of Socially Engaged Practice
- Campus Operations
- Media Services WUIT
- Office of Residential Life
- Psychology Dept. Admin Offices
- Sam Fox School Alumni Development
- Genetics Business Office
- Board of Trustees
- Earth and Planetary Remote Sensing Laboratory
- Access Control Office
- Brown Service Center
- 560 Music Building
- Clinical Education Program (Law School)
- Women, Gender, and Sexuality Studies
- WUSM Physical Safety/Transportation
- Graduate Medical Education
- Edison Theatre
- DUC & Event Management
- Student Financial Services
- School of Engineering Administration & Finance
- Accounting Operations
- Lifelong Learning Institute
- Department of Anthropology
- Environmental Studies
- Cell Biology & Physiology Business Office
- Engineering Student Services
- FMD Supply Room WUSM
- Habif Health and Wellness Center
- Department of Music – Danforth Campus
- Ronald Rettner Earth and Planetary Sciences Library
- Office of the College of Arts and Sciences-Advising
- Physics Library
- Health Administration Program
- Student Life Media
- The Teaching Center
- Office of the University Registrar
- Facilities and Security Departments at the Mildred Lane Kemper Art Museum
- Prevention Research Center
- Office of the Chancellor
- Political Science
- Jewish, Islamic, and Near Eastern Languages and Cultures
- Office of Public Affairs
- Faculty of Arts & Sciences
- Payroll Services
- Accounting Services
- Professional Development
- Orthopedic Surgery
- Jewish, Islamic & Near Eastern Languages & Cultures
- Central Services Mail Receiving
- Student Technology Services
- Kranzberg Art and Architecture Library
- African and African American Studies
- Department of Mathematics
- Department of Philosophy
- Chemistry Library
- Mechanical Engineering and Materials Science
- University College
- Sponsored Accounting Projects
- Office of the Assistant Dean and Assistant Vice Chancellor for OFMD
- Biological & Chemical Safety Division of EH&S
- Olin Library Admin Suite
- Alumni House
Since the program’s initiation in 2012, 78 offices have certified as a Green Office. However, certification lapses after two years. The above list presents the currently certified offices.