See below for a list of events on and off campus for Earth Month this April!
WashU Earth Week, April 3-9!
- Instagram Bingo | Ongoing through Earth Week (visit @theburningkumquat on Instagram)
- Hoedown | April 3rd, 4-6pm, at Burning Kumquat garden
- Work Day | April 9th, 11am, at Burning Kumquat garden
Education & Activism
- Brown School: Deconstructing Inclusion | April 4th, 12:30-1:30pm
- Environmental Justice in St. Louis, Graduate Impact Forum | April 4th, 6-7:30pm
- WUCCP: Urban Design Climate Conversation | April 5th, 7-8pm
- Film Screening + Pizza Party: 2040 | April 6th, 7pm, Schnuck Pavilion Room 202
- Spring Peeper Program: What’s Happening to Our Frog Species? | April 7th, 4pm
Pushing on Climate Change: Flash Mob | April 7th, 4-4:15pm, Brookings Quad(this event has been canceled)
- Student Sustainability Board (SSB): T-shirt Screening | April 7th, 5-6:30pm, Clocktower
- ESA SEEDS – STL: Diversity is More than Color | April 7th, 6pm, DUC 234
- WUSM: First day of the Farmer’s Market season | April 7th, 10am-2pm
- Bear’s Den: Street Food Festival | April 7th, 5-8pm
- Campus Foraging Tour | April 8th, 11am, meet at Brookings Quad
- China Care Club: Growing n’ Glowing | April 8th, 6:30-9pm
Additional WashU Programming
- Cahokia Mounds day trip | April 1st, 10am
- This event is sponsored by the Outing Club
- 31st Annual Pow Wow | April 16th, 12pm (Doors open at 10am), WashU Field House
- This event is sponsored by the Brown School’s Buder Center for American Indian Studies
WashU School of Medicine
- WUSM Earth Day Festival | April 21st, 10am-2pm
- Expect to meet local vendors at the WUSM farmers market, engage with local advocacy organizations, win free sustainable giveaways, and drop off plastic bags for recycling!
Alternative Transportation Month
- Snacks for Cyclists | April 12th & 13th, 11am-1pm
- Bike Tune-Ups and Commuter Fair | April 14th, 20th, 26th
- WashU Rides Commuter Challenge | April 18-29
- Participate for the chance to win cash and other prizes!
- WUSM Bike Tune-Up | April 21st, 10am-2pm
- Group Metro Ride to WUSM Earth Day Festival | April 21st, 10am-2pm
- Whether you’re a MetroLink veteran or newbie, staff or student, join us on a group ride on the MetroLink to the Earth Day Festival on the Medical Campus.
Seminars & Lectures
- Living Earth Collaborative: Live-Streamed Seminars | Ongoing through April.
- Way Beyond Bigness: The Need for Watershed Architecture | April 14th, 4pm.
- Wild Sang | April 18th, 4pm.
- Truncation of the Ecological Niche | April 21st, 4pm.
Sierra Club: Missouri Chapter
- Missouri Sierra Club 101 | April 14th, 6:30-8pm.
- Afternoon Hike at Shaw Nature Reserve | April 17th, 1pm.
- Presentation: Exploring the Naturalist Tradition | April 27th, 6:30pm.
- St. Louis Earth Day Festival | April 23rd-24th, 11am-5pm, Forest Park
- Anyone interested in volunteering at the festival can learn more here.
- Environmental Justice Days of Action: New Roots Urban Farm | April 9th, 1-4pm.
Great Rivers Greenway
- Life Outside Challenge | Ongoing through April.
- Confluence Trash Bash | April 4th-9th.
Operation Food Search
- Recycle Your Electronics | April 23rd.
- Enviro-History, a database of writings, maps, and visualizations about the environment, nature, culture, and history.
- Environmental Racism in St. Louis, an article written by Clark Randall and Jacqui Germaine and published by the New Inquiry.
- The St. Louis Eco-Urban Assessment is an interactive tool visualizing environmental challenges and opportunities in the St. Louis region.
- Solve Climate By 2030 & the World-Wide Teach-In on Climate and Justice contain guides and resouces for educating a variety of communities on climate and justice. Courtesy of Bard College’s Center of Environmental Policy.
- Climate Curriculum Guides, published by WUCCP, compiles courses into climate-related guides to provide interested students with suggested courses that can be taken along any course of study.
- 50 Years of Earth Day – Looking Back… and Forward was a post written by the Office of Sustainability in April 2020 to celebrate the 50th anniversity of Earth Day and the modern environmental movement.