The WashU Green Ambassador (WUGA) Program is a student-managed, peer-education program supported by the Office of Sustainability that orients new students to the sustainability initiatives on WashU’s campus. WUGAs play a critical role in training first year student to adopt behaviors that align with WashU’s culture of sustainability, behaviors that they will carry with them during their time at WashU (and beyond).
2017 WUGA Student Directors Savannah Fuqua and Kelli Showalter are coordinating a team of individuals who are passionate about the environment, who want to influence WashU’s culture, and who demonstrate strong leadership. WUGAs will work closely with one or two freshmen floors to plan sustainable programming and educate students about topics like waste sorting and alternative transportation options on- and off-campus.
WUGAs will also work in one of four teams: Waste Reduction, Energy Usage and Efficiency, Alternative Transportation, and Food and Dining. Each team will create and execute a project related to their team’s focus that they will work on throughout the semester. These projects will receive guidance from the Office of Sustainability and will be designed to make a sustainable change on our campus and foster student involvement. Applicants will be assigned to a team based on their interests and are expected to participate throughout the fall semester.
WUGA responsibilities include:
- Participating in the WUGA training and retreat the week prior to school (August 22-23).
- Volunteering on freshmen Move-In Day to assist with waste sorting and bike registrations and to introduce yourselves to floor(s).
- Completing the required 20 hours of WUGA service.
- Being an active participant in your respective WUGA team.
- Maintaining an active role on your WUGA floor(s).
- Attending team meetings approximately once a month.
- Being a role model in sustainability on campus!
Benefits of being a WUGA include:
- Participation in a free, fun retreat at the beautiful Shaw Nature Reserve; food and housing provided.
- Extensive training on sustainability initiatives established on WashU’s campus.
- Eligible for early move-in, beginning August 20.
- T-shirts identifying students as WUGAs.
- Breakfast the morning of first-year move in day.
- Leadership development and valuable experience for those interested in working in sustainability-related fields.
- Networking opportunities with a broad range of students interested in sustainability projects.
- Opportunity to carry out a sustainability project that will impact the community.
We are currently seeking two more WUGAs. Apply by August 7 to participate by contacting co-directors: Savannah Fuqua at email@example.com or Kelli Showalter at firstname.lastname@example.org.