We all know that a diet that is heavy on plants and light on animal products is both better for the environment and also for our overall wellness. Making the change might seem overwhelming or even impossible. Dining Services and the Office of Sustainability have teamed up to create the Ever Green Challenge to make the change easier and—dare we say it?—fun! Join us in October and participate in the inaugural year for this month-long plant-based program!
OVERVIEW OF CHALLENGE
- Takes place in Bear’s Den
- Different meal stations will offer different plant-based options each day (look for the Ever Green logo!)
- Sign up to receive a passport, and with every plant-based meal you eat, you receive a sticker from the cashier
- Eat at least one plant-based meal a day for five days of the week
- Check in at our table with your passport to become eligible for weekly raffles
- At the end of the program, you can calculate your total carbon impact!
WHAT WE HOPE TO GET OUT OF THIS CHALLENGE
- This challenge is meant to help WashU students understand that any change is impactful; vegan diets are not the only way to have a positive impact—even thoughtfully replacing one meat-centered meal a week with a plant-forward option is an accomplishment that helps curb carbon emissions.
- This challenge will encourage WashU students to explore more plant-based meal options and become aware of different ways to enjoy a plant-based diet.
- By showing students the carbon impact that they will have had during the Ever Green Challenge, we are hoping to inspire them to continue exploring sustainable lifestyle practices.
- Participants must be WashU students.
- Only meals from Bear’s Den count toward the challenge.
- Let your cashier know that you are participating in the Ever Green Challenge so that they can put a sticker in your passport.
- At least one sticker per week should be from the World Fusion station.
- Participants with at least one meal entry in the first week will receive an Ever Green Challenge sticker.
- The challenge builds up from week to week, so participants must receive 5 meal entry stickers by Thursday, October 7th in order to be eligible for the next week’s raffle.
- If you miss a week, you can still participate by completing a total of 10 eligible meals over the span of the missed week and the next week.
- Even if you can’t complete 5 plant-based meals every week, don’t be discouraged from participating!
- Check in with your passport every Friday at the table at Bear’s Den during lunchtime to get your name entered into the raffle.
- Challenge ends Sunday, October 31st. Final check-in will be on Monday, November 1st at the table at Bear’s Den.
- At least 1 meal entry sticker in passport by Friday, October 8th = Ever Green logo sticker
Tier 1 (October 1 – 7)
- 5 stickers by Friday, October 8th = 1 entry into raffles for 15 reusable cutlery sets
- 6 stickers by Friday, October 8th = 1 extra raffle entry
- 7 stickers by Friday, October 8th = 2 extra raffle entries
Tier 2 (October 8 – 14)
- 5 stickers by Friday, October 14th = 1 entry into 10 raffles for WashU tote
- 6 stickers by Friday, October 14th = 1 extra raffle entry
- 7 stickers by Friday, October 14th = 2 extra raffle entries
Tier 3 (October 15 – 21)
- 5 stickers by Friday, October 21st = 1 entry into 5 raffles for WashU picnic blanket
- 6 stickers by Friday, October 21st = 1 extra raffle entry
- 7 stickers by Friday, October 21st = 2 extra raffle entries
Tier 4 (October 22 – 31)
- 5 stickers by Monday, October 31st = 1 entry into final raffle for $100 Visa gift card
- 6 stickers by Monday, October 31st = 1 extra raffle entry
- 7 stickers by Monday, October 31st = 2 extra raffle entries
If you have any questions, please contact Aamna Anwer, Sustainability Coordinator: firstname.lastname@example.org.