This summer, the Operations & Facilities Management Department, in partnership with the Office of Sustainability, is bringing free bike tune-ups to the WUSM farmers’ market!
Alternative transportation – which includes biking, walking, and public transit – combines the benefits of having a low impact on the environment, saving you time and money, while keeping you healthy! The summer bike tune-ups series supports our active commuters but also encourages all others to consider alternatives to single occupant vehicles.
The free bike tune-ups* will be performed by Velofix, a mobile bike shop that provides repair services for every kind of bike. This locally operated company has creatively managed to fit a whole repair station in the back of a van! Within these few cubic meters, Francesca DeRanzo, owner and operator of the local Velofix shop, performs repairs and shares basic maintenance tips that will extend the life of your bike and increase safety.
The farmer’s market runs from 10:00 am to 2:00 pm, every Thursday, all year long! The vendors bring only the freshest produce and products to the market.
* Free Tune-Ups Rules:
- Bike tune-ups are provided to WashU faculty, staff, and students only.
- Please sign up for a tune-up at the check in sustainability table (look for people wearing the sustainability shirt!)
- Due to limited spots for the free tune-ups, bikes will only be checked in on a first-come, first-serve basis until 1:30p or up to 22 bikes. We cannot guarantee service for bikes brought after 1:30p or after the 22nd slot is full.
- All bikes must be picked up by 2:00pm when the event ends.
- Free tune-ups cover basic maintenance only; bike owners may purchase parts on site or will be referred to a bike shop if repair needs do not fit within the scope of the basic tune-up.
- You will be able to leave your bike for repair and receive a text when it is ready for pick up. In the mean time, visit the farmers’ market!
If you would like an email reminder the day before the event, please submit this form.
Can’t make it? No worries, we’ll be hosting another tune-up on September 26.