Want to quit the car habit? October 18th is the day to do it! WashU Car-Free Commute Day will offer many opportunities to the WashU community to try alternative ways of transportation, and will reward you for doing so!
>> Join a Morning Bike Ride!
Meet a WashU Bike Buddy for a group morning commute leaving from your neighborhood! If you are not an experienced bike commuter, this is a great opportunity to be guided through this experience, learn the best routes and interact with competent bikers. Already a bike commuter? Join a ride, meet with fellow bikers and share your passion with others!
All the rides will ultimately end at a Refueling station where you’ll be able to enjoy a well deserved breakfast and meet more car-free commuters!
Chose among the options below the ride that would be the most convenient for you, and do not hesitate to contact your bike buddy if you have any logistic question.
On the map below, each pin represents a meeting point. Click on the pin to know more about the ride (departure time, destination, bike buddy name and contact).
To the Danforth campus, From:
- Tower Grove: Meet Betha (firstname.lastname@example.org) and David (email@example.com) at Shaw &Tower Grove ave (departure 7:30a)
- Brentwood: Meet Paul (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Manchester and Hanley (departure 7:30a)
- Ladue: Meet Rachel (email@example.com) at Conway Roads and Clayton (departure 7:50a)
- Richmond Heights: Meet Peter (firstname.lastname@example.org) and Jodie (email@example.com) at Bellevue and Manchester (departure 7:50a)
- South City: Meet Ben (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Grand and Gravois (departure 7:50a)
To the School of Medicine, From:
- Tower Grove: Meet Joel (email@example.com) and Brian (firstname.lastname@example.org) at Arsenal and Oak Hill (departure 8:00a)
- Clayton: Meet George (email@example.com) at Wydown and Hanley, by Starbucks (departure 7:20a)
>> Enjoy a Free Breakfast
Modeled on the national Bike-to-Work day, Car-Free Commute day will feature free breakfast for all WashU Car-Free Commuters from 7:30am to 9am.
Three reflueling stations will be available at different entrances of WashU campuses:
- Danforth Campus, Mallinckrodt Bus Plaza
- Danforth Campus, Skinker MetroLink station, outside of Green Hall
- School of Medicine, Hope Plaza
>> Practice your Bike Skills with WUPD
Meet WUPD Police Cyclists outside of the DUC (Edison courtyard) at 5pm for a Bike Safety class. You will learn about Missouri bike laws and tips on how to check your bike before taking a ride. After the theory, time for practice!
Join the group bike ride led by the Police Cyclists around the Danforth campus to learn how to best navigate the paths and streets, how to share the road with cars and pedestrians, and how to behave in case of an emergency.
Interested in Alternative Transportation? Click here to see the whole Active Transportation Month program of events!