Office environments throughout Washington University in St. Louisâ€™ campuses are major consumers of energy and materials and significant contributors to our waste stream. The Green Office Program is a framework and set of resources that has the potential to significantly reduce the environmental footprint of our university community.
Presented by the Office of Sustainability and Resource Management, WUSTLâ€™s Green Offices Program aims to encourage offices across all WUSTL campuses to be champions of our university sustainability ethic.
The program is a point-based, self-assessment checklist with which offices can evaluate their current practices, set goals and be recognized for their sustainable practices. As participants complete the checklist, points are automatically tallied. When an office earns points above a set threshold, it will be certified as a Green Office.
How to Participate
- Define office space and elect a Green Offices representative. An office can be defined as three to 20 people who share office equipment. Large offices may be broken down into more manageable groups.
- Register your office.
- Orient yourself and your office to the program by downloading and reviewing the Introduction to Green OfficesÂ (PDF).
- Download the Green Offices ChecklistÂ (XLS) and work with your office to complete the checklist. It will be helpful to reach out to office members to get a sense of their current individual practices and to raise awareness about more sustainable practices.
- Email your completed checklist to email@example.com. The Office of Sustainability will review your completed checklist and confirm your office’s certification level.
- Introduction to Green OfficesÂ (PDF)
- Green Offices ChecklistÂ (XLS)
- Innovation Points ResourceÂ (PDF)
- Email Template for Green Office RepsÂ (DOC)
- Recycling PosterÂ (PDF)
- Hanging Landfill Bin PolicyÂ (PDF)
- Bike Share Program Instructions (PDF)
- Mac how-to guide for double-sided printing (PDF)
- Windows how-to guide for double-sided printing (PDF)
- Space Heater PolicyÂ (PDF)
- Impacts of StyrofoamÂ (PDF)
- Light Bulb GuideÂ (PDF)